Sustainability is one of the hottest trends in the apartment market today. According to a study by HD Supply 77% of residents value communities that incorporate green practices.
Reducing waste, and boosting recycling, is one of the easiest methods for apartment communities to save money, be more sustainable, and attract & keep residents. Here’s how you can make sure your recycling program is a success:
To realize the greatest economic & environmental benefits, make sure all key stakeholders from the property monitor all the way to the equity partner are onboard.
Make Programs Convenient
Residents might not participate if recycling takes additional time, effort, or is perceived as a hassle.
So, make it easy on your residents by providing recycling containers to each unit.
Want to make it even easier? Utilize doorstep waste and recycling pick up, particularly in buildings with trash chutes or carpeted corridors.
Educate & Communicate
According to recycling education group Eureka Recycling, “studies show that almost all outreach to residents…results in a “bump”…in participation.”
What does this mean for education & communication on property?
- Communicate frequently – starting from the day residents move in!
- Repeat messages frequently.
- Use multiple channels (flyers, email, events, etc.).
- Place clear signage around dumpsters, toters, and chutes.
You Can’t Manage What You Don’t Measure
Measure the quantity and type of materials diverted over time to track your progress.
At Go Doorstep we’re firm believers in the benefits of recycling at your apartment community. That’s why we offer:
- A two container doorstep waste and recycling pick up program.
- An education & communication plan tailored to your community.
- A customer service platform that keeps residents & property managers happy.
Give us a call at (404) 205-8802 or email us at email@example.com to learn more.